Sunday, June 28, 2015

Thyroid

Of course one can't talk about hormones and not mention the thyroid. It was recently brought to my attention that the thyroid can be a major factor in hyperemesis. Just a quick search brings up research all the way from 1985 about a condition known as Transient Hyperthyroidism. It is caused by pregnancy and can result in HG. It can happen in women who don't otherwise have thyroid issues (hence "transient"). So in my efforts to thrive through HG, I am trying to cover all possible bases.

Early last winter I was feeling off and had my thyroid tested. My thyroid was fine, but my idodine receptors were blocked which ultimately affected thyroid function. I did a cleanse and some adrenal support and was able to clear that within the month. 

So what have I been doing to support my thyroid specifically as it relates to HG? Well, not much. I don't really know too much about the thyroid. As a precaution I have had my thyroid levels tested so that I have prepregnancy base levels to compare to when I actually am pregnant. All levels are currently good. Although, according to the research, transient hyperthyroidism is actually quite rare and the condition causing HG abates around 18 weeks. Since mine lasts the entire pregnancy, I do not  believe this is my problem. However, I'm covering bases. And my thyroid still needs love. 

So I'm giving my thyroid love by adding seaweed to my diet. Seaweed is rich in trace minerals (10-20 times that of land-based plants, including iodine and B vitamins), balances the thyroid, soothes and nourishes the digestive system (hi, liver!!), and is particularly beneficial for women's needs in general. 

"Seaweed is an ally in women's mysteries. Seaweed flows and shifts like the energy of a woman. Saline solutions of ocean and uterus rock in rhythm. Pulses of tide, menstruation, heartbeat, and fertility join seaweeds and wombs. Nourishing breastmilk merges with waves of green fronds...optimum nourishment and the salts of life...breasts, seaweeds. Seaweed eaten daily is a powerful ally to the a wise woman, for prevention and healing of herself and others." (Susan Weed Women's Mysteries)

I love the analogy of the flow of life in my body and the ocean, especially in pregnancy and thinking about labor. 

So nearly daily there is some intake of nori, kelp, kombu, arame, or dulse seaweeds (all readily available at your health food store or the Asian section of a grocery store or Asian market). I make sushi, add seaweeds to soups, arame makes an excellent noodle replacement and is very mild in taste, sprinkle kelp flakes on everything, or even make a tea/broth from kombu. 

It's just one more thing. One more thing to do for my future baby. One more thing to help me mother and be a part of my family while pregnant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment