Thursday, August 6, 2015

Adrenal Fatigue part 4

The previous post on mitochondrial dysfunction ended with with the question "what about the adrenals?" She mentions liver function over and over, but the adrenals aren't mentioned once! This post will explore if there is a relationship between adrenal fatigue and mitochondrial dysfunction.

First off, let's just talk about the adrenals. The adrenal glands sit atop the kidneys and aren't actually one organ. They are two organs sandwiched together - the adrenal medulla (non-essential for life) and the adrenal cortex (essential for life).  Most of my research has focused on the adrenal cortex. The cortex is in charge of cortisol which assists the body in metabolism (among other essential functions, but the metabolizing of fats, carbs, and proteins is more vital to our purpose, especially as it relates to mitochondria). 

This article discusses adrenal fatigue and its symptoms (note: I've had many of these symptoms for years). It mentions adrenal cortex injections being beneficial, which is what Dr. Kemp gave his HG mamas as a sublingual serum with 100% recovery success. 

I found this very interesting article that discusses the adrenals' role in liver and gallbladder function. In it I learned that high cortisol levels can cause non-alcoholic fatty liver. Also, the body recycles 95% of bile acids from the bowels, and it is cortisol that controls this function. If coritsol levels aren't at their optimum, however, that negatively impacts the gallbladder - one symptom of which is fatigue. So...what came first? I've explored all of these things already in regards to HG. Did HG cause a liver or gallbladder problem? Or was Adrenal Fatigue the underlying condition that caused HG in the first place and, after prolonged insufficiency due to the demands of pregnancy, resulted in gallbladder damage and non-alcoholic fatty liver? These questions are posed, of course, in relation to HG. Clearly liver, adrenal, and gallbladder issues occur independent of pregnancy. 

Of course I haven't even looked at adrenal fatigue AND mitochondria yet...so let's do that now. In short, mitochondrial dysfunction is really, really difficult to determine. It also shares many characteristic symptoms with adrenal fatigue (among other diseases). One good marker is - wait for it! - low glutathione levels. Which is interesting, since glutathione aids in the oxidation stage of the methylation process. (So what role does mitochondria play in methylation?) Many of the nutrients needed in particular for mitochondrial function are: coQ10, carnitine, vit c, glutathione, b complex, trace minerals, marine phytoplanktons (sea food?), vitamin D, magnesium...most of those sound familiar? ALL THE OVERLAP! This article discusses how to treat mitochondrial dysfunction AND adrenal fatigue, if you happen to have them concurrently. It's tricky because treating one could exacerbate the other. Personally, I do not think mitochondrial dysfunction is my problem (mostly because the symptoms do not resonate with me - such as muscle weakness and exhaustion during exercise), but I have also noticed that I do not react well to B vitamins, even in their activated forms and I'm more tired than I've ever been in my life. Which does make me wonder, have I made something worse by trying to target something else? All of this stuff is so off the beaten track (and not even in the "quack" sense), it's frustrating. This article is extremely interesting, though, so please do give it a read. In the end, it seems there is some connection between adrenal fatigue and mitochondrial dysfunction, but it doesn't seem entirely clear what. My own theory, as I understand things so far (someone please inform my ignorance!), is that if the adrenals are in charge of metabolizing fats, proteins, carbs, and nutrients for the entire body and the mitochondria are in charge of breaking down nutrients, glucose, and fatty acids at the cellular level, then the impaired adrenal function comes first. Although, I just wrote that out and two "buts" popped into my head. So. In MY case, I think adrenal function comes first. 

Through reading various articles, I've noticed a strong overlap between adrenal fatigue, mitochondrial dysfunction, and methylation and the nutrients required to support the functions of all of them.  I suppose, realistically, they are all tied together in one way or another as well as being essential for...well...life.

Currently I am awaiting the results of an adrenal test. It was a saliva test that will measure cortisol, dhea, estradiol, testosterone, and progesterone levels over the course of the day. Interesting fact is that I had to take it on the 21st day of my cycle. I love how specific that is. The test is the Endocrine Essential 1, item number 7070. It's also only $99 out of pocket, which is a very good price. 

Additionally, I will be having an intracellular micronutrient panel done. I'm completely geeking out about this one. It will measure everything I've already been researching, which will give me an exact knowledge of what micronutrients my body is lacking: copper, zinc, magnesium, vitamin Bs, glutathione, carnitine, among many other vitamins, nutrients, acids, metabolites, and antioxidants. And if you've been reading this much, you will understand the significance of those specific nutrients listed and are geeking out with me.

I am anxious to get the results back from these tests. I should know about the adrenals by the end of the week. The micronutrient panel won't be for another 5 weeks (2 weeks until my appt, 3 weeks for the results)! I am having some good lessons in patience. Which is good. It's not my strongest area. 




**Unrelated, but I feel a need to mention it. Mitochondrial disease can be inherited. A few years ago the first ever court-awarded vaccine-autism case happened. It was found that the child, Hannah Poling, had an undiagnosed mitochondrial disease that, exacerbated by the vaccinations, resulted in her autism. When I think about my mother and her many physical problems, my own health issues, and some of the frustrations I've had with my daughter, I find myself frequently wondering if she's been spared a starker future because we chose a different vaccine path for her. Genetic predisposition is real. Which is not at all meant to incite a vaccine debate, it's just to say there are deeper problems some of us carry, things they don't test for in those newborn exams. Medicine isn't one-size fits all. And I bring this up because it was the first time I ever heard about mitochondrial disease before starting this HG research.

No comments:

Post a Comment