Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Adrenal Fatigue and HG

I'm not sure why, but adrenals have been on my mind. Maybe it's because I tried the very low carb diet and was exhausted beyond anything I've ever experienced, only to learn that the vlc is not good for those with adrenal fatigue. I've always questioned my being diagnosed with adrenal fatigue back in college, but maybe it was accurate. I was under chronic stress, to the point where I became anemic and would black out for a second upon standing up. I had to go to bed at 9 pm in order to function. I would cry at the drop of a hat. I was depressed. Among other things. The more extreme symptoms were gone before my first pregnancy, but lately I've been wondering if maybe there are some lingering adrenal problems. In fact, while en route to an herbal class recently I was taking a mental note to research the relationship between adrenal fatigue and HG, and what herb did we then learn about? Borage - one that calms the endocrine system. It was Providence!

I'm pretty floored at what I'm reading right now in the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine.  In 1933 a Dr. Kemp argued that HG is a result of subclinical, temporary adrenal cortex insufficiency. He reasoned that:
"Prior to pregnancy some women have suffcient adrenocortical function just able to meet their physiological demands. However, when these same women become pregnant they experience a temporary adrenocortical insuffciency until their adrenal cortex hypertrophies suffciently (usually at the end of the third month) to produce adequate amounts of hormone to meet the demands of their remaining pregnancies. " (pg. 70)
Dr. Kemp successfully treated cases of HG with a physiological (as opposed to pharmacological) dose of adrenal coritcol extract (bovine sourced) taken subcutaneously.  There have been modern studies based off of Kemp's theories that were less successful (Dr. Kemp's clients made an immediate and complete recovery from HG). However,
 "None of these modern reports used physiological doses of cortisol as a treatment approach. Kemp’s work showed that physiological doses of adrenal cortical extract possess therapeutic value in keeping NVP (nausea and vomiting in pregnancy) from progressing to HG. For patients that progress to HG, highdose steroid therapy appears to be indicated based on the best and most current available evidence. It appears more likely that physiological doses of cortisol when given during the first trimester of pregnancy might serve to prevent the onset of HG, and thus eliminate the need to resort to hospital admission and high-dose steroid therapy. Given the possibility that early pregnancy does represent a state of “relative adrenal insuffciency,” the use of physiological doses of cortisol to prevent HG should be more formally studied. " (pg. 72)
Dr. Kemp's original study is here. Bless his soul - he argues for his sick mamas, during a time when HG women were told it was purely psychological. He notes in his research that because of the lack of adequate adrenal function, "the liver bears the brunt of the pathological changes from this grave disturbance in body chemistry while degenerative changes also take place in the kidneys." I have read that liver and kidney diseases can result from HG. He goes on to postulate that "the liver only exercises its manifold and excessive functions in the presence of an adequate supply of a catalyst or autocoid (possibly several) which is a secretion of the adrenal cortex." - HOLY LIVER!!!! So, I could do everything to help my liver, but if my adrenals aren't functioning fully, neither will my liver. This is sobering.

There have been multiple instances where I've been encouraged to take a cortisol test. Maybe I ought to, finally, look into this.

I'm having a moment right now. A "THIS IS IT" moment. I truly, truly think this is the root of my problem. I am part of the 1% of women that suffer from HG. I am further part of the 10% of that 1% that suffer for the entire pregnancy. I'm not saying this is the "across the board" root for all HG mamas, because I think there are many underlying causes, but for me....my intuition is screaming and crying within me... this is it!

2 comments:

  1. This is really amazing stuff, and it's bringing back a lot of stuff that I'd forgotten about.

    First of all, I do remember reading about this stuff (adrenal fatigue and HG) quite some time ago - years and years. In fact, I'd really forgotten it.

    Also, an interesting thing is that many years ago I went to a naturopath for fatigue issues, and she prescribed an adrenal cortex extract for me. It did have an amazing effect. I took it for a while, though I didn't continue it.

    I'm excited to read more as you formulate your thoughts and ideas on how to work with this theory!!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete