Thursday, July 23, 2015

Acupuncture

I heard about acupuncture for Hyperemesis after my first pregnancy. I don't recall if I was seeking out solutions in a birth and pregnancy forum or if I had just mentioned that I had HG and was still having heart burn a year out. Either way, a mama told me "Oh your spleen qi is off and that can cause heartburn and HG." Doubter that I was, I went and Googled "spleen qi" and "traditional Chinese medicine" and I found some compelling information. I decided to give it a try. During the first session the practitioner was putting in the needles and suddenly I felt a sharp sensation in my foot that immediately subsided and then a chill went through my whole body, from head to foot. I said "What was that?!" "Your spleen," she responded. Well, call me a believer. After that session I had no more heart burn. 

Shortly before my second pregnancy I read a clinical study (there are a number available) on acupuncture and pregnancy-related nausea. During my second trimester of my second pregnancy I had two acupuncture sessions. After each one I would come home, vomit immediately, and for a week following I had decreased nausea, no vomiting, and increased energy. I now know that having acupuncture done preemptively, and especially in the first trimester, is even more effective. I plan to start going weekly (? We'll see what the practitioner thinks) prior to conception. 

You will find an excellent podcast on the subject at HyperGPregnancy.

While researching B Vitamins I came across this post that mentions kombucha and how, according to traditional Chinese medicine, it balances the middle qi, which is connected with the spleen. It's comforting to learn that I've been preparing my body in more specific ways than I was aware of. I happen to just really like kombucha, so I began brewing my own 9 months ago. I hope I can tolerate it during pregnancy so I can continue to reap its benefits. 

2 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about acupuncture too. Really, the only thing that has stopped me from trying it has been the cost. Maybe I'll have to look into it again!

    I do the lacto-fermented foods as part of my pre-pregnancy protocol, including kombucha. I do a super-long brew to drop the sugar content, so it's quite zingy! :) Right now I use it as a chaser for FCLO to help cover up the taste of the FCLO. :)

    When I was pregnant last time, I managed to eat the lacto-ferms through about week 9, and then I had to call it quits. They were just too awful-tasting. But they probably helped, especially during pre-pregnancy preparation. I think that's where most of the benefit is to the things we're trying anyway - before pregnancy rather than when we're pregnant and sick.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the continuous brew method, and, yes, mine is extremely zingy too. Probably closer to vinegar than the store bought varieties. It's delicious! And thank you! I chased my FCLO down today with the 'bucha and it was so much better! Brilliant.

      Delete