Monday, July 13, 2015

Genetics

I'm currently exploring the possibility of a genetic component with HG. Although I hadn't yet come across this topic while researching HG prevention, a friend directed me this way. One of the studies I cited previously actually mentions that there might not be much someone could do since current research seems to indicate it might be genetic.

We used to think genes were set in stone, but new research is beginning to show that is not the case. Our genes can be switched on and off

The recommendation is for me to take the 23andMe genetic test and have the results evaluated by a dr. I decided to see if I could find any connection between that test and HG prevention. I didn't come across very much all, but I DID stumble upon this gem. A podcast! A whole podcast series (available on iTunes) dedicated to HG Prevention. So far I've listened to a few and they've been extremely interesting. Especially this one. Holy cow!

All of this really ties in closely with other things I've been learning about (such as folic acid being the cause of tongue ties, MTHFR being the root cause of repeated miscarriages and preeclampsia). In my learning about MTHFR I learned about the necessity of taking methylfolate instead of folic acid, and, further, its need to be taken with B12. Nearly everything on my "timeline" falls in place with what this doctor in the Methylation podcast is talking by about. First focusing on diet and gut health, next liver and gallbladder health, then milk thistle, then vitamin Bs, magnesium, and then methylfolate. 

It may or may not be accurate, but I kind of got the feeling that whether or not I do the genetic test the reality is I'll have to take these same steps anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment