Sunday, July 5, 2015

Milk Thistle

I'm sorry. I really, really thought I was done with all the liver talk. However....

One of the things I am doing right now is taking milk thistle. This is one of the first things I came across as a means of HG prevention. I had actually heard about milk thistle shortly before I learned #2 was in my belly and took it for a short time. I'm reading that ideally one should take it for 2-6 months before conceiving and then up the dosage once conceived.

Milk thistle is one of the most studied and widely used herbal medicines, even today. It contains a compound called silymarin, which is the active ingredient.  Milk thistle is an antioxidant, which protects the body against free radicals.  Our livers, like our skin and blood, are able to totally regenerate themselves when they have been injured - no other organs can do this. Milk Thistle aids this process by stimulating the growth of liver cells

Since we've already talked about the liver, we know how important it is in the role of HG (and, um, everyday life...seriously, it performs more that 500 different functions in our bodies!), it's rather obvious how this herb is helpful. The suggestions I have seen in HG forums is to take 280mg of Milk Thistle extract with a minimum content of 70% silymarin. However, I further read that if milk thistle is taken with dandelion, artichoke, licorice, among other herbs, it's action is enhanced, and one can take a lower dosage. I am taking 175mg with 80% silymarin that also contains dandelion, artichoke, and turmeric. I was taking 2 capsules initially, but it was too much. 1 capsule seems to be working well. *edit: 1 capsule seems too much, so I'm going to try half a capsule.*

Milk Thistle is also used as a galactogogue. Yay!

Now, I also read some information that indicates the verdict might still be out on some milk thistle claims. And this is why you must do your own research. 

EDIT:: 8/25/15 I have ceased taking milk thistle for the time being. I took it consistently for about a month, but I think it was a key player in my fatigue. An accupuncturist also suggested I not take it because it was depleting my liver, and my liver really needed replenishing. She said milk thistle really should not be taken for more than a month at a time and even then not every day. This was good to hear because she validated something I'd been feeling anyway (I had already stopped it by then). Especially since common HG advice is to take it for 2-6 months prior to pregnancy. Maybe it's just that my liver was already at a good place and didn't need the milk thistle anymore. Ironically, my milk supply also increased a few days after ceasing it.  So it was definitely over-taxing me - and I was only taking about 1/4th the recommended dosage for HG prevention.


No comments:

Post a Comment