Thursday, July 2, 2015

Oils

In another post I mentioned using lemon essential oil to quell the urge to vomit. I would dab my finger with oil on the back of my tongue and the urge would go away almost instantly. Realistically, this might not be the best method as the safety of ingesting essential oils is questionable to begin with. However, it worked and I didn't do it all too often, so I don't regret doing it (but I also can't advise it, and I do advise that less is more when it comes to EOs). However, I set out to research lemon essential oil and nausea and came across an interesting clinical study that demonstrated its effectiveness. Their method was through inhalation. Another study compares peppermint and ginger essentials oils. Ultimately the results of that study show some improvement with the oils, but negligible. I think the testing would also be questionable because you really couldn't have a true blind study - it's obvious if you're smelling peppermint or ginger or saline solution. So who knows.

I also came across a number of sites explaining that lemon essential oil is far more effective than ginger at eliminating nausea....but they were about countering the side affects of a certain psychedelic herb, so who knows. (Thank you, Internet.) It's an interesting read at any rate as it goes into the specific compounds that counter the nausea. I doubt it's applicable, but it's still interesting. 

It at least appears I have another option available to me via aromatherapy.

Each Sunday, at the end of our Eucharistic service, there is an anointing with oil for the sick and the suffering. It is an anointing for healing, but it's not just that. It's also a reminder to suffer well. To carry the cross of sickness and suffering, partaking in Christ's work, and bearing along with Him. I did not participate in this much with my last pregnancy (probably couldn't stand the smell, whoops!) but this past Sunday I decided to start accepting this gift now. While I'm preparing my body for the suffering of pregnancy, I need to prepare my heart and soul, too. Although I still can't stand the smell. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment